Skip to main content

The Alchemist - Amazing "To Realize One's Destiny is a Person's Only Obligation"

My good friend Ekeh popularly known as "THE CHAIRMAN" is a big fun of the Alchemist and he recommended this book for a read.

On September 21st 2008 on my way back from Minneapolis,at Minneapolis/St. Paul International Airport, I happen to miss my flight which was departing at 4:45pm CST, even though I was in the airport 30 minutes before departure. I was definitely upset but since I was with a good friend and the great time we had together I tried to control myself and paid without question a fee that allows me to be put on standby list; usually uncharacteristic of me to just agree without speaking my mind. so I saw my good friend off their flight to MILWAUKEE and then I came back to wait for my standby flight 3 hrs later from my initial flight.

I Had just finished reading another book "How to win friends & Influence people" - actually this book had some influence on my way of reacting to the situation than I usually will i.e. not argue especially since I was trying to go through security I thought if I had engaged the agent at the counter it would have probably taken another time off the possibility of me catching my flight, never mind I didn't catch it anyways. This particular line specifically impacted me and I quote "Control your temper - remember, you can measure the size of a person by what makes him or her angry". since I consider myself strong and a leader I figure that probably I will let it pass.

Back to my story, so missed my flight, saw my good friend off to MILWAUKEE. Then come back to gate 14 to wait for 3 hrs, yes 3hrs! on a waiting list, no even sure that I can get a seat. but there I was, so now I had to get started reading another book to pass time, "The Alchemist". Interesting thing about this book is that it is one of those books that when you start reading you don't wanna stop. so I got immersed in it before I realize the 3 hrs that looked like eternity passed like wind, yes like wind.

While I was reading the book there was a theme that was catchy and got my attention and apparently it related to my situation " the spirit of adventure"-not to worry when you find yourself in a certain situation, don't spend time being sorry to yourself, just enjoy the moment. it added to my personal instinct that worrying and feeling sorry about yourself isn't a solution instead worry about THE MOMENT - THE FUTURE, the past is THE PAST, can't add or subtract anything to or from it, just that plain & simple. I wish it was always that plain & simple I have to admit sometimes it gets the best of me but am learning to be in control.

Back to Alchemist - here is the story in Brief: very interesting!
Santiago, an Andulusian shepherd boy, has a dream about finding a treasure in the Pyramids of Egypt. A gypsy woman and an old man claiming to be a mysterious king advise him to pursue it. "TO REALIZE ONE'S DESTINY IS A PERSON'S ONLY OBLIGATION," the old man tells him. (NB: I truly believe in this) the old man continues "And, when you want something, all the universe conspires in helping you to achieve it" - (NB: I don't know about that - may be at some level once you pass the fear to fail stage of pursuing the dream, what do u guys think?)
THE story continues...
With the courage of an adventurer, Santiago sells his sheep and travels to Tangier in Africa. After a thief steals his money, Santiago takes a job with a crystal merchant who unwittingly teaches Santiago important lessons for his long journey ahead. After working at the crystal shop for a year, Santiago earns enough money to cover his losses and return home. On a desert caravan, Santiago meets an Intriguing Englishman. The Englishman's passion for knowledge and his relentless quest to uncover the secrets of Alchemy inspire Santiago to pursue his own dream of finding the treasure. As the Englishman searches for the two-hundred-year-0ld alchemist who resides in the desert oasis, Santiago falls in love with a young woman, Fatima. Exposed to the greatest and eternal alchemy of all-LOVE-Santiago thinks he has found the treasure. But the greatest test all is yet to come. With the help of the alchemist, Santiago completes the last leg of his journey-dangerous and infused with discoveries of the most profound kind-to find that the treasure he was looking for was waiting for him in the place where he least expected.
This story, timeless and entertaining, exotic yet simple, breaks down the journey we all take to find the most meaningful treasures in our lives into steps that are at once natural and magical. It is about FAITH, POWER, and COURAGE we all have with us to pursue the intricate path of a PERSONAL LEGEND, a path charted by the MYSTERIOUS MAGNET OF DESTINY BUT OBSCURED BY DISTRACTIONS. Santiago shows how long the way we learn to trust our hearts, read the seemingly inconspicuous signs, and understand that we look to fulfill a dream, it looks to find us just the same, if we let it.

This was refreshing and I thought probably it was okay to miss the flight for a chance to read this one of the most intriguing piece of work I have ever read. kind of gave me a good instinct of my personal dream, this so called "personal legend". I know and believe I have one.

Comments

T-Ann said…
You go Patrick! I wish you all the best in pursuing your destiny.
Loa Lorem said…
Thanks T-Ann,
do your thing gal, keep it up!
Shrls said…
hey i think u hit a lot of things i struggle with my self head on. but some time recently i feel as if my mustard seed of strength has grown into a mountain. faith is key. in oneself and in God.

thanks for sharing ur insights.
Loa Lorem said…
you are welcome, Sherley I appreciate your personal insights as well. how is Japan treatign you?

Popular posts from this blog

The Bottom Billion

The Bottom Billion By Paul Collier, A Professor of Economics at Oxford University is a very elaborate piece of work that clearly nails down the issues that drags the economies of the developing world and in particular “the bottom million” economies. You may be wondering what the “bottom billion” is, it simply refers to countries whose their economies has stagnated for the last 40 years and they account of one-sixth of the world population. As you may be aware that our world has a population of 6 billion people. If you care about poverty in the world this one is a must read book. Professor Collier lays down the main hindrances to economic growth in the countries of the bottom billion as he refers to them as traps and I will list them here: 1. The Conflict Trap – he explains that all societies have conflict, but they can trap a country in poverty. - I agree with Professor Collier that Civil war is costly and so is a coup d’état, very challenging to recover from especially if a country e

MY HEART BLEEDS FOR MY COUNTRY KENYA

Am lost and without words, i can't fathom the post-election mayhem that was just witnessed in my lovely Country Kenya. I pray that God will heal the broken hearts for all those who lost their loved ones, which is really Kenya as a country has lost beloved ones in this ugly scene, the darkest week in the history of our country since Independence. God help Kenya. who is to blame for all these lives lost? this is the big question, could it be President Kibaki of PNU or could it be Mr. Raila Odinga of ODM? For sure, i don't care whether president Kibaki rigged the election, which of course seems to be backed by all evidences. However, though if Raila was a true democrat I will have expected him and other ODM leaders to have moved quickly to try and speak to their supporters to end the skirmishes. However, either willfully or not ODM leaders failed to move in to stop the Killing, this is not to imply that they in sighted their supporters, NO. My statement here is that as true democ