Skip to main content

Africa Solution is Real Change

Am always amazed when I read a lot of stuff that are going on in Africa and Kenya in particular. Talk about Drought, Hunger, HIV infection & other horrible diseases, all these I can say have caused a lot of stress to this Land and caused a lot of burden to its residents. These calamities are both nature instigated as well as “artificially” instigated. My question will be why? All these sufferings? How about how and when can these calamities be put to rest and oh yah by who?

How about Corruption which is rampant everywhere in the world, but it is said to be more rampant in Africa, which I will agree-somewhat that it has some truth in it. A few years ago the “wealthier” nations were asked by pro-poor scholars and politicians a like to forgive “poor nations” the debts they own them. Again the focus was on Africa. This was good intentions of course!

I have one problem though that I want to ask especially as a challenge to Africa Leaders, where did these trillions and trillions of dollars went to? What happened to these monies and who squandered them all? Why are we crying that we need our debts to be forgiven? As a society or nation together we are carrying this burden of “debts” on our shoulders, yet these trillions might have gone to someone’s pocket or a few Individuals just spent them all? For sure ladies and gentlemen there is no work to show what the money was spent on? No infrastructure, no water, no everything so how comes some countries in Africa owe a fortune to outfits like IMF, World bank and the list goes on, they are heavily indebted. What happened to all these trillions?

Now Listen to me "Old Folks" who are stilling clinging to power, as a young folk who is aspiring for change in Africa and Kenya in particular, I will want to promise that we the young generation are ready to shoulder this burden but tells us where the trillions went & to whose pocket did the money go to? before we can go to ask the “lenders” to forgive us our debts because we have failed. I do have a problem as well with the “lenders” but that will come later once we straight this out at home.

Why am I saying this? Am tired personally of Africa where Kenya belongs to, being labeled as “a dark continent” and being associated with bad things always and this has created a big problem of PERCEPTION by the west that not much good can come from Africa, yet we have brains just like anybody else in this world. We got so many fine scholars, we got brains men, and so where is the problem? Then I figured out something might be wrong somewhere. something is just not right!

Am tired and disturbed when I hear leaders from other countries “the west” in particular come to Africa and suggest solutions for our own problems, this is crazy I tell you it doesn’t get crazier than this. Am not saying that it is wrong for someone to give another a hint about something after all our world today is like a village and sharing information and solution to common problems is definitely helpful and welcomed. But to be given something you never asked for is disturbing to me. Imagine this, president Bush was quoted saying “I urge the country to remain focused on combating corruption and in promoting good governance," said Bush. This was directed to the Kenya government. And the British High Commissioner, Mr. Adam Wood, said corruption had become a crisis. Wood cited investigation into the Anglo-Leasing scandal, which, he said, had "gone cold". He continued "We would feel reassured if there was evidence of action; if there were prosecution launched; if files passed to the Attorney General for prosecution are acted on. Given the scale of recent and past scandals, implementation has not satisfied Kenyans or the international community," he said.

As I said absolutely see nothing wrong with these comments. But wait a minute how long are we going to be looking to the west for solutions to our own problems? Let’s take this scenario for instance, if you are sick you don’t wait for anybody to tell you that you are sick and you need to go see a doctor, unless of course if they are your spouse(s) (some people are polygamists!). It is supposed to be automatic, it is your body! So this should be exactly the same in these issues as well unless we are lying to ourselves? We need A CHANGE PEOPLE! I MEAN A REAL CHANGE! CAN SOMEBODY HERE ME!
GOD BLESS AFRICA.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Alchemist - Amazing "To Realize One's Destiny is a Person's Only Obligation"

My good friend Ekeh popularly known as "THE CHAIRMAN" is a big fun of the Alchemist and he recommended this book for a read. On September 21st 2008 on my way back from Minneapolis,at Minneapolis/St. Paul International Airport, I happen to miss my flight which was departing at 4:45pm CST, even though I was in the airport 30 minutes before departure. I was definitely upset but since I was with a good friend and the great time we had together I tried to control myself and paid without question a fee that allows me to be put on standby list; usually uncharacteristic of me to just agree without speaking my mind. so I saw my good friend off their flight to MILWAUKEE and then I came back to wait for my standby flight 3 hrs later from my initial flight. I Had just finished reading another book "How to win friends & Influence people" - actually this book had some influence on my way of reacting to the situation than I usually will i.e. not argue especially since I was t

The Bottom Billion

The Bottom Billion By Paul Collier, A Professor of Economics at Oxford University is a very elaborate piece of work that clearly nails down the issues that drags the economies of the developing world and in particular “the bottom million” economies. You may be wondering what the “bottom billion” is, it simply refers to countries whose their economies has stagnated for the last 40 years and they account of one-sixth of the world population. As you may be aware that our world has a population of 6 billion people. If you care about poverty in the world this one is a must read book. Professor Collier lays down the main hindrances to economic growth in the countries of the bottom billion as he refers to them as traps and I will list them here: 1. The Conflict Trap – he explains that all societies have conflict, but they can trap a country in poverty. - I agree with Professor Collier that Civil war is costly and so is a coup d’état, very challenging to recover from especially if a country e

MY HEART BLEEDS FOR MY COUNTRY KENYA

Am lost and without words, i can't fathom the post-election mayhem that was just witnessed in my lovely Country Kenya. I pray that God will heal the broken hearts for all those who lost their loved ones, which is really Kenya as a country has lost beloved ones in this ugly scene, the darkest week in the history of our country since Independence. God help Kenya. who is to blame for all these lives lost? this is the big question, could it be President Kibaki of PNU or could it be Mr. Raila Odinga of ODM? For sure, i don't care whether president Kibaki rigged the election, which of course seems to be backed by all evidences. However, though if Raila was a true democrat I will have expected him and other ODM leaders to have moved quickly to try and speak to their supporters to end the skirmishes. However, either willfully or not ODM leaders failed to move in to stop the Killing, this is not to imply that they in sighted their supporters, NO. My statement here is that as true democ